Monday, January 5, 2009

blame it on Korea

A couple weeks ago Chris and I had to have a health check for work. We went with a number of other foreign teachers to a nearby hospital. Myself and the other girls that we teach with were all shoved into a closet where we were to told to undress. We did as we were told, and then we pranced around the hospital in our almost exposing purple gowns. We went to all the different stations: we had our eyes, ears, heart, weight, and height checked. We gave a urine sample, and they took our blood. Unfortunately, when the woman drew my blood she had to stick me about 6 times before she got anything out of me. This was the extent of our health check, very normal. Anyway, I haven't thought another thing of it until I got a print out of the results. I couldn't read any of it because it was all in Korean, but I could see that a few of the categories were outside of the normal range. This sparked some interest. So, I had someone translate the categories for me. I'm anemic, which I've known for a while now, and I've always had really low blood pressure. So, I wasn't surprised by either of these. However, I was shocked that my cholesterol was high. This is surprising because I've never had high cholesterol, and I've always ate anything and everything I've ever wanted. Since we've been in Korea, my eating habits have actually changed for the better. So, why my cholesterol would be high now....I haven't a clue. I'm probably just over reacting, and I'm sure it isn't that big of a deal. But nevertheless, I'm a bit worried. I've lost weight since coming here, and though I'm not the best about monitoring the foods I'm eating, I know I don't eat an extremely fatty diet. I'm so frustrated because I have no clue where this is coming from!!!! I've been on the computer all night reading about the causes of cholesterol problems, and none of this makes any since. The main causes are a fatty diet, heredity, alcohol consumption, excess weight, and little physical activity. I don't drink. My weight is very normal, and I walk just about everywhere I go. I blame this on Korea since I can't come up with any other explanation!!! For lack of a better solution, I'm gonna put myself on a low cholesterol diet, and start using the gym at my apartment. Then, I'm going back to the doctor, and I'm gonna have it checked again. The last thing I need is a heart attack at 23....good Lord I must be a redneck!!!

No comments: